Friday, May 28, 2010

Trey's "Hong Kong Walkabout"





This past week, the fifth graders at HKIS went on their "walkabout" around Hong Kong, which involved something to focus on and write about. It could be anything...statues, doorways, windows, markets, etc. Trey and the boy he was paired up with decided to explore the street markets of Hong Kong. We started off at one of the wet markets and when the boys had had their fill of raw meat and other various parts of animals (cow tongue, as seen in picture), we moved into the regular markets containing trinkets, souvenirs, toys, electronics, clothing, etc. Although I have been in the markets many, many times, it was a true eye opener for my dear steak-loving boy. It shed a new light on where all of our meat comes from as we saw every possible part of all of the animals we eat meat from, being utilized. We saw live chickens being put in a barrel of boiling water before being plucked and chopped up. We saw two dead pigs, gutted out and watched as the man threw the intestines onto the floor of the shop they were selling the raw meat from. Ok, I even got to see more than I had seen thus far. Needless to say, we don't buy our meat from the wet markets. We buy it from the grocery store, and pay a premium price for meat shipped in to Hong Kong from elsewhere. For example, I saw the price of $120HKD (approximately $15.50 USD) for two chicken breasts the other day that were imported from Australia...compared to $20HKD ($2.60 USD) for the 2-pack of Chinese chicken breasts.

Anyway, thought I'd share a few "interesting" photos from our day out and about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.