Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Air Shipment Arrives!

So, I am so excited! Our air shipment finally arrived with our computers. So, I got right to work at getting them set up. I plugged in my Mac...took two minutes and we are up and running. So, then I went to work on the brand new PC we purchased for the kids (the last one was on it's last leg but used it until we left). I specifically searched the pc to make sure it was compatible with the different electrical voltage and sure enough, the manual says it is. I looked all over it to make sure I was plugging everything in correctly. I plug it in and turn the electrical switch on and BOOM! I had a little blast. Oops...apparently there is a very tiny switch to slide over about 1/8 of an inch to switch the voltage. Now...the nice new computer doesn't turn on. Technical assistance suggested I send it to a friend or family member in the states to have it serviced...or not. I'm replacing the part myself...as soon as I find it in Hong Kong! Never a dull moment here.

"God Things"
I just have to laugh at some of the "back home" connections we have had. As it turns out, the son of the Edina woman that I mentioned in one of my earlier blogs that we happened to run into in the hallway the other day, is in Kyra's class! He also plays hockey. Although, Kyra has become less inclined to play hockey here as the program we have her currently in only has 3 girls in it...and none of those are her friends from Eden Prairie. We're still working on her with that as we know that she truly loves to play...so maybe in a little time.

Also, the principal of the Upper Primary (Trey's school section) is from Fargo, North Dakota.

Reality Check
Trey is enjoying the "basketball program" although I've learned how high/different sports expectations have become for us given the Eden Prairie programs that we are used to. To participate is quite expensive here and today the leader asked the kids if they wanted to play dodge ball instead of playing basketball. I quickly texted Craig (in Australia) and said "are you sure we have Trey signed up in the right program...I'm confused...what are they thinking wasting our time on DODGE BALL...isn't that for Phy Ed?" I think Trey was a little disappointed at first also as I know he really looks forward to being able to play basketball with other boys his age, but by the end I could tell he had a lot of fun and was starting to build those initial relationships with some boys. Isn't that what it should be about? For that, it is worth whatever amount of money...even for dodge ball.

Drinking the Water
So, to save money on groceries, I've been encouraging the kids to drink water from the tap. My lecture went something like "we are not so spoiled that we can't drink the water from the sink. Do you know how much the bottled water costs here?" Oops...not such a good idea...I can't remember what the parasite or whatever is, but diah..... (sorry I just can't even say it) for 10 days or more if you get it, is enough for me to pay for the bottled water!

I hope to get some pictures posted soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.