Saturday, November 19, 2011

Bathroom Renovation

Despite the fact that we have numerous boxes left to still unpack and several rooms that are not completely "moved in" to, I haven taken on a renovation project in our new home.  It started with the small fact that I wanted to change out the brass faucets and light fixtures in the main floor bathroom.  Well...let's just say the project got bigger.  Here are my "before" pictures...wishing I had taken more of them to compare to.  I am definitely in the "middle" of this project but have taken some pictures of the progress.





As I started the removal of the faucets and the light fixtures, I soon decided that the three-wall-mirrors also needed to go...which then led to the fact that the cabinet looked so dated.  I removed the doors and drawer fronts to the cabinet, sanded them down only to find out that they were made out of particle board.  Thankfully, the face frame of the cabinet was at least made out of pine.  I wanted to have the cabinet have a stained look so I purchased unfinished doors to replace the particle board doors.  I was very happy with the quality of what I ordered.  For custom doors and drawer fronts, the cost was $140...compared to replacing the whole cabinet at a MUCH greater cost.

I had another lovely surprise when I removed the mirrors from the walls.  There must have previously been a built in medicine cabinet for which the previous homeowners decided not to repair the hole of properly...Lovely!


In my removal of the shower/tub glass doors, I accidentally chipped a couple of tiles.  My first thought was that I'll put up a new shower curtain and nobody will notice the chips.  But, as Craig pointed out, I didn't love the tile that was there anyway so why not remove it and replace it with something we like better?  Sure, why not?  Well, I learned why not...see next photos for why not.  I soon learned that the previous homeowners put tile on top of backerboard, on top of another layer of backerboard, on top of sheetrock...so...the thickness of cement that I have had to pound through is backbreaking.  I was originally pounding with a regular hammer, but clearly that was too slow.  I tried the back end of an axe, which was working quite well until the blade flew off the handle.  I decided another trip to Home Depot was in order and got myself a SERIOUS hammer.  I am nearly done with demolition and hope to have my new layer of backerboard up within the next few days.




So, here is where I'm at today...I have to clear out all of my debris from the bathtub/shower demolition, but the other end of the bathroom is coming out nicely so far.  I wouldn't say my repair job of the hole left behind from the built in medicine cabinet is spectacular, but it's done.  Otherwise, things are progressing nicely.