Friday, June 5, 2009

Happy Birthday, Craig!


We celebrated Craig's birthday yesterday...Outback Steakhouse was his restaurant of choice, although that might have been because of the pressure he was feeling from me and Trey to have a steak! He succumbed to our way of thinking and we were very appreciative! We then celebrated with a cheesecake with fresh strawberries (his favorite dessert). He received some very interesting and special gifts from the kids. It was a great family evening.

A TRIP TO SHENZEN
I made my first trip into China yesterday!! A good friend of mine here invited me to go with her (her first time also) and another woman who at least had some experience with shopping in Shenzen. It is nothing like I imagined or could truly put to words. I was a little concerned when she half-jokingly asked me if I brought my Ibuprofen (for the headache I would have afterwards). I had no idea what she was talking about. So, we enter a mall of sorts with many, many floors and MANY, MANY small shops and everyone is standing outside their shops in the narrow hallways saying "missy, handbag, missy" "missy, dvds, missy" "missy, missy, watches" etc. depending on what their wares are. My eyes kind of glazed over because acknowledgement is encouragement...so eyes fixed straight ahead is the best option. Luckily, we had specific store destinations in mind, which was SO helpful. It was quite an experience and to think I'm going back again next week. My friends were concerned that I would get stopped at the border because of my visit back to the states last week (VERY protective of the Swine Flu here) so they made me go first in case I was detained! :) I'm not sure if they were looking out for me or if their plan was to ditch me if I got detained?? Anyway...made it through and back with no problems! (with a few purchases...shhh...)

COUNTING THE DAYS!
The kids are truly counting the days until we return to the states for what seems like a short summer. We will be flying out next Saturday, June 13th...and I haven't started packing!! I am leaving with mixed emotions. I will be traveling with the four kids by myself (so any prayers you want to say for me on June 12th/13th would be MUCH appreciated...pray for safety and patience!). So, we will be filled with excitement of seeing all our friends and family back in the states but filled with sadness that daddy is not yet joining us. Very mixed emotions! Hopefully, we will have a chance to see everyone while we are home!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.